When it comes to air conditioner flooding Houston experienced many problems brought on by the massive storm. There are important steps to take if you know or suspect your air conditioner was damaged by flooding by Hurricane Harvey this summer.
Remember these key steps:
1. For primary safety precautions, turn off power to the entire system, including both the indoor and outdoor components by shutting off the breaker in the building’s electrical box. If your home has more than one air-conditioning unit, make sure electricity has been shut off to all of them.
2. Remove debris, mud, puddles and standing water from around the outdoor unit and let the equipment get as dry as possible.
3. Call a professional air conditioning service company to have a technician inspect the air conditioning system.
4. Have the coils cleaned and electrical parts examined for water damage and electrical shorts. Check the seal around the fan motor, motor windings and connections and terminals.
5. Document the damage by describing it in detail and with dates and time. Take photos of the damage.
6. Check your home insurance policy to make sure it covers damage from floods, wind and storm damage.
7. Contact your insurance agent to report the claim.
Damage Caused by Air Conditioner Flooding Houston
A proper inspection of the AC system can reveal damage to controls, electrical parts, coils, condensers, fans, motors and wiring. Even the indoor equipment can be damaged by just a small amount of flood water or leaks into the house or down walls and into controls and components. Have a qualified technician fully check the air handling unit and furnace. Remember, while air conditioning equipment can withstand the rigors or being outside in weather, long-term contact with flood waters can destroy the systems.
Even if the heating and air conditioning system starts up and runs, corrosion and water damage to electrical components can show up in weeks or months as water jeopardizes the life expectancy of components, which can break down sooner than expected.
If Your Houston Air Conditioner May Have Been Flooded in Harvey Call Absolute Comfort Today!
To gain some peace of mind, schedule an inspection and tune-up of your home’s heating and air-conditioning system before it grows into a bigger problem when you least expect it to malfunction. Contact Absolute Comfort today to schedule your air conditioner appointment or if you have any questions.